Toad poisoning in dogs and cats
Sonoran Desert Toad (Bufo alvarius)-Found from Central Arizona to southwestern New Mexico.
Toad venom poisoning is more common in dog than cat. Toad releases some poisonous substances bufotxin through the skin. More serious cases occurs if the dog catch or eat the toad. Sometimes the toad's poison gets into the dog's eye. Several species of giant toads are a serious threat to pets
What are the signs and symptoms of toad venom poisoning?
- If a dog bites or pick up a toad in its mouth profuse salivation and attempts of vomiting takes place.
- Gums become red and inflamed.
- Shaking and pressing of head towards a hard object.
- Difficulty in breathing,
- Diarrhea occurs.
- heart failure.
What to do if your pet is poisoned by a toad?
If a pet is observed playing with a toad, rapid intervention by
the owner is necessary.
first step is to wash the pet’s mouth out thoroughly with water.While rinsing your pet’s mouth, take care to use a gentle water pressure and point the stream of water across the mouth.
Do NOT point the water flow toward the back of your pet’s mouth to avoid inhalation of water resulting in aspiration, pneumonia or drowning.
Once you have rinsed your pet’s mouth, seek care from your primary or emergency care veterinarian as soon as possible